Sunday, October 23, 2005

Chronicles of Rygorh: Journey to Lower Scumsgrove

Early the following morning we all sat down to discuss our plans and to compare notes on the information we gained the previous night. The farmer and his strangled sheep were of no consequence especially if he is evacuating with the rest of the town. I was more concerned with the information pertaining to the merchant's guild in Lower Scumsgrove and how much power they wielded. I am guessing from the information we gained that they control the town guard and would not think kindly about us disturbing their business with evacuation plans. "Sword and Flame, at least evacuating the city would break their hold on the poor people they exploit."

I was abruptly brought out of my musings as I heard someone at the bar asking about the Starborn. Unfortunately our kind-hearted minstrel also heard this and at once motioned him over to the table. "Damn these people don't know how to keep their flaming mouths shut! Firinna, grant me strength, I need to have a talk with these people about volunteering information! Why is it so hard for them to have some care and restrain themselves?" Seems that no damage was done this time; however, the time will come that being open will ensnare us all eventually. This strange man seated himself and showed us his birthmark and told us his story which was similar to ours. Argo D'morr is how he identified himself, and he has a nasty scar down his face which showed that he was no stranger to a good fight. The only weapon he carried was a long chain, "Hmm, odd choice of weapons, but to each his own, I guess."

We left Lichgate shortly and traveled throughout the rest of the day pretty much uneventful. Well, if you consider all the clamor we make with our armor and certain people who feel they must speak . . .All the Flaming Time . . . uneventful. After finding a decent spot to set up camp, we set a fire and after making my nightly offerings to Firinna I drifted off to sleep.

"Shhh!" Neil said quietly as he shook me awake. "Something is out in the trees; the Knife went to check it out." Alert now, I stood and looked around. Tilk was up and looking around weapon in hand. Neil had moved to chain guy and was waking him when we heard the commotion in the trees as Knife must have found them. Scanning the trees I could now see them. "By Firinna's Fire, undead creatures, a mockery of life itself!" They moved from the trees and Tilk charged to meet them before they reached camp. Grasping the small flaming sword of Firinna I wore around my neck, I attempted to call upon her power to destroy these things. "Damn, by Sword and Flame they still are coming for us." Tilk is struck and falls paralized by the creatures foul touch, chain guy is doing surprisingly well swinging his chain around. Several of the creatures turn and run back into the trees. I notice that Neil his holding the symbol of his god, "Hmm, why would Firinna not grant me the might to destroy these beasts?" Grasping Firinna's symbol of strength and power I again attempt to call down her power only to be denied again. "Dammit. Why wont she . . ." Reality dawns on me, the mighty Goddess of War and Fire has graced me with a wondrous sword in which to do her will and I stand in the back like an elf trying to stay safe. "Strong Firinna I will not fail you again and show weakness." I see the rest of the creatures turn back to the woods, knowing that we have but a short time now I must prepare for battle.

I quickly don my armor with some help and move forward prepared to meet them sword in had as they return. I attack the first one within my reach striking him hard with my sword, the thrill of battle coursing through my veins, "Hmm, now that I have your attention!" Another of the creatures obviously sees me and knows that I am filled with Firinna's fire deciding that I am the biggest threat they both come at me. Battling fiercely they manage to strike me a couple times but with Firinna's blessed strength within me their foul touch has no effect. After several vicious blows from my divine blade of power one finally falls "how can these creatures take such punishment and still be standing!" I turn to dispatch the other, and one of my comrades thinking that I was in trouble, came to assist me and this thing now lies in a heap forgotten on the ground . . . "No, how can that be?" As I watch the corpses of these creatures turn to ash and disintegrate into nothingness.

The unanswered question still spinning in my head, we get everyone healed up and decide to move our camp elsewhere. The next morning we continue our journey. "How did that happen? Where did those creatures come from? How could those creatures survive just one strike with my blade? What is in store for us next?" The questions in my head won't go away. So far this entire experience seems to have done nothing to answer any, just as it seems that as an answer may be coming we find only more questions. About midday we come to Lower Scumsgrove. "What a pitiful disgusting hole." I find it hard to believe that anyone could live here.

Next Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home