Sunday, October 23, 2005

Chronicles of Rygorh: Lower Scumsgrove

I surveyed the buildings as we rode closer. The dilapidated buildings were much different from the ones in Bronce. In Bronce you could tell that the buildings were in disrepair because they had no money for upkeep; not so here. Here the dwellings were filthy and falling apart because it seemed that no one cared. The streets were muddy, and as we moved closer into town the stench of dead rotting fish filled my nostrils. We began by milling around town and looking for a decent place to stay. "Yeah, like that was going to happen in this place. Some of the best barns I had seen were more appealing," the thought crossed my mind. I suddenly heard some voices and turned to see Neil speaking to what appeared to be a guardsman. After a brief discussion the guard told Neil not only where a good place to stay was but also where we could go and have a stout drink. "Hmm, maybe the short one does have some value after all," I mused to myself cracking a slight grin.

We soon found the place that the guard referred to, made arrangements for our rooms and stowed our gear. Then we all proceeded to the tavern that the Guardsman spoke of. The place was a loud smoke-filled place of commotion and confusion "Hmm, finally a decent place to get a drink!" In the center of the room was a ring for melee combat, and everyone was betting on the fights shouts of jeers and encouragement filled the room. As I walked up to the bar I noticed Tilk looking on at the fights like a puppy would watch a bone that was just out of reach. "Hmm, I wonder how my friend would fair?" I thought as I surveyed the room. One half-orc attempted to start a fight with me, eyeing my sword. "Like I am foolish enough to brandish such a blade in a corrupt town run by black marketers," once the half-orc went and sat down I turned to see Tilk still drooling and trying to get into the ring. I decided, "Hell, let me get him in there and maybe make some money for myself." Throwing caution to the wind I walked over and yelled over the cheering voices, "I've, got 3 gold coins that says my boy over here will take the biggest and badest guy here!" I got about 10 takers on my bet and Tilk got into the fight with one of the biggest half-orcs I had ever seen.

The orc got the first blow and landed a fierce strike to Tilks big jaw that made him take a step back but he stood firm taking the best this guy could dish out. After that Tilk landed a series of rights and lefts and the orc never got a chance to land another blow before he fell to the floor. I jumped up patting my big friend on the back hollering, "That's my boy!" as I collected my winnings. Turning I noticed my companions speaking to a man and shortly Celegorm motioned for the rest of us to come with him and the man he was speaking to. He turned out to be the captain of the guard and was interested in the stories that Celegorm was telling in the bar. We quickly explained to him about the impending army of Evil Dark Dwarves that was going to invade this Island in the next couple days. He was interested in how we came by this information and how valid it was. Everyone seemed to be satisfied that we did a good job in relaying the immense threat that this town faced so that he could report to the Guild Leaders and get something done. As we left he turned and asked, "Where can I get in touch with guys in case anyone wants to speak to you further about this?" Nobody could see any reason why we shouldn't share this with him so we did then we went back to our rooms to retire for the night.

After making my nightly offering to Firinna I climbed into bed quite pleased with the evening's events. Some time in the middle of the night I woke to shouts in the hallway. Grumbling as I walked to the door "By Firinna's blessed fires when the hell will I get a night of uninterrupted sleep?" Stepping into the hall I could see Celegorm standing in the middle of the hall looking confused, Rumus standing next to him arms crossed, Larien just to the other side of him all staring down towards the other end of the hall. I looked down there to see two Guardsmen saying "this man is under arrest and he will come with us now!"

Next Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home