Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Seebo: Reflections on Leadership

"I didn't want to be a leader. I'm not a leader. I just want to do what I want to do. I never asked to be here. I never asked to be a Starborn or to try and stop this invasion. I'm an insignificant nobody from a small island in the middle of nowhere.

"But if I don't do it who will? We've managed to skate by barely surviving sometimes. We spend countless hours arguing over what to do and never coming to a concrete decision yet we complain that we take too long to figure anything out. I was sick of it so I took the reins.

"Rygorh didn't want a leader so I never told him about it, I just did it. He didn't seem too unhappy at following my direction when I made the final decisions for us. No, it worked like a well greased gnomish contraption. We accomplished so much under my direction. But I didn't want it, I'm not a leader.

"So why did it bother me so much when Rygorh tried to step up and do what I had already done? Why was I so threatened by someone else wanting to be a leader? I keep saying it, I didn't want the job. It was my chance to just hand it over to someone who did.

"I don't know if you used to watch me when I was younger, probably not. Well, there was this one time when me and the boys were doing an odd job for Knuckles. He said we just had to go see a guy about some money that was owed. It seemed easy enough. We walked in this guy's place of business and no one did anything. We stood there almost a full half minute before I stepped in. I do it because no one else will.

"And now I'm the target. I want to just disappear in the crowd and be another nameless face among the greater mass. But I can't. I have an obligation, I have a duty. For once in my life I'm going to do the right thing not because its easier or because I'll find fame and recognition for it. No, this time I'm doing it because it has to be done and we're the only ones who can do it."

Next Post