Thursday, November 10, 2005

Seebo the Knife: The Road to Hell

Why can't people understand that I have an important job to do? Don't they realize that they're not the only ones in the world who have problems? We were running out of time, the army had already massed near Bronce and if not already, were preparing to march.

What? Oh, no, the kids were fine. We found and rescued them and returned them safely to their mother. Luckily, we ran into a little bit of help, 3 strangers who appeared out of nowhere. It turned out they were on the same great holy mission we were. I say the more the merrier.

We got everyone moving out of Bronce and headed to the next town of Lichgate. They were pretty responsive and started evacuating south to Saragost. Our first hurdle came in the next town, Lower Scumsgrove. Don't be fooled by the name, its not a nice city.

Celegorm, one of the strangers, took the lead on this one and I guess he talked about the wrong thing to the right person or the right thing to the wrong person or something. Anyway, there was a big problem with the city guard and the merchants of the town or something. When all was said and done, we had the whole of the city guard bearing down on our inn looking for Celegorm. Wait, let me rephrase that: he had the whole of the city guard bearing down on the inn looking for him. I was safely on the roof and on my way to the safety of the shadows. Some people don't know when they're beat.

Long story short though, they warned the right people and got the ball rolling. We left Scumsgrove and didn't look back. We hit the next town, Churney-on-the-Green late that night. Damn me if there wasn't an inn. We ended up sleeping on some poor villager's floor. He was a nice enough fellow, even fed us.

We warned those elders and were ready to head out. That's when the real trouble began.

Now I'm a good person, I like to think I can make a difference, at least in one person's eyes. We were moving pretty fast towards Saragost. We were so close, just a few hours from the final warning. Of course there was a wagon of villagers being attacked by an Ogre and his goblin cronies.

Being the great heroes of legend, we didn't think twice about charging in to save the travellers. What we didn't think about were the odds. See half our travelling party had ventured on their own to take care of some other task, I don't know, I wasn't listening. Ten goblins and an Ogre against five of us, not good odds. To top it off, we charge in to save the villagers when the Ogre and his cronies kill them before we even get to the battle. So now we're charging in without a plan to save people who have already died. Suffice it to say I'm surprised any one of us made it out alive. My only saving grace was they left me for dead after I fell unconscious. Rygorh wasn't so lucky I'm afraid. I always thought the Heroes didn't die until the final battle with the great mysterious evil.

Then Neil pointed out what the weird lady said about the Tump. She said that if one of us falls we could be brought back or something whatever that means. The plan was for everyone to head back north to see if they could help Rygorh while I headed for Saragost to make sure they got warned. Rumus didn't like the idea but I think he underestimates me.

First thing was first though, I wasn't going anywhere without my stuff. Those bastards stole all my money and knives. How can I be "The Knife" if I don't have any knives? It's a good thing Casey had started showing me how to track before she left. I picked up their trail and found their camp. Not chancing another bad encounter, I just snuck in and hijacked all of our stuff back.

With all of our gear back we headed to Churney-on-the-Green for a quick night's rest before heading our separate ways. Not wanting to waste time, I waited until everyone was asleep and made for Saragost right away.

The trip was uneventful, a few hours on the road, a few patrols that I just outran. I came up on Saragost and damn was it a nice city. Fully walled at about 20 ft high extending all the way out into the bay. For the first time I had some hope that maybe this army could in fact be defeated or at least held back. There was a large tower on the east side that had a flaming sphere atop it that I guess served as some sort of a beacon. Regardless I was here to do a job.

There were hundreds, maybe thousands of people camped outside the walls and they were only letting certain people in and only one at a time. Being that my business was urgent I pushed ahead to the front of the line and flashed my bag of change expecting that's all the guard wanted. Turns out this one had a moral compass and wouldn't let me in. I didn't have time to deal with this bs.

I tied my horse off and found a dark corner out of sight. Sometimes being small can be a serious advantage. I did myself up like a kid and made for the gate. I waited for the right moment then snuck past the guards and into town. Not wanting to attract attention, I took off the disguise and just walked openly on the streets. Did I mention it was the middle of the night? Yeah, its hard to not attract attention when you're walking around a big city in the middle of the night. Thankfully I wasn't trying to avoid the law this time. The guards that stopped me were kind enough to point me to an inn, The Inn of the Flaming Beard. They pointed me to the rough entrance, I guess they didn't think I could handle the other one, whatever it was. So I walk in and ask for a room but the bartender wants to give me a small one just cause I'm a little bit shorter than normal. So I tell him I like livin' large and to give me a normal room now. He knew who he was talking to, he understood. I got my room and caught a few hours of sleep before morning.

First thing I found the main hall where the governing body was and went to talk to them. Too bad they wouldn't talk to me. That's alright though, they talked to my money. There was a last minute cancellation this afternoon so I got an appointment.

Well I did my thing and I warned them and all was well. All I have to do now is wait for everyone else to get here and then wait for the army to get here. They said my life was in danger though. I better lay low for a while so if you don't hear from me for a while, don't worry. When I'm ready, I’ll find you . . .

Next Post