Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: The War Begins

We spent two days preparing for the coming army, many of us scribed scrolls, Neil created a cloak for Casey and some bought some items they thought were needed. Casey attempted to research information on our enemy to but to no avail. I think the single most important thing that happened over those two days was that we had probably the first discussion since we came together without some type of argument ensuing. I think we pulled together as a group and found a new sense of who were and what we had to do in a world now gone mad. Alev again called me his friend, and this time I think he truly meant it as I have had my doubts in the past. Hmm, friendship a word I never really gave much thought to always feeling that people used such words in order to exert some type of control over others. I do believe by Firinna's divine wisdom we have finally come together, unified to meet the coming forces of darkness for when it begins here; it will not end for us until the final battle. Not a day too soon either since the day we all dreaded was upon us, today the army from the darkness arrives to destroy these people.

The morning came, the sky was bright and the sun shown warm as usual. Looking skyward you would never think anything was amiss. Then you walk the streets and you could feel the heavy sense of foreboding in the air. Normally on a day as this the streets of Saragost were teaming with people buying and selling, speaking to associates about business or heading to a tavern. On this day the streets were empty except for the periodic patrol that passed by. It felt odd walking these streets and to hear the crunch of our own footsteps on the deserted road. As we made our way to the harbor in order to check the ship that had been so kindly loaned to us by the Lady Arigane it was obvious that those who could flee had. The Elensil sat moored at her dock like some forgotten relic that someone left behind in the now vacant harbor. Her crew saw us coming met us at the dock and assured us that she would be ready to cast off whenever we were ready. As a group we made one final visit to the counsel chambers to discuss battle plans and city defenses. I must say Alev had some ingenious ideas with those explosives we had confiscated. After eating a quick but unsatisfying meal, sigh, the feeling of dread that filled the city was unsettling.

As I walked silently with my companions towards the wall to wait the final hours before war was before us I could feel my pulse quicken slightly in anticipation. Soon the wall and battlements loomed before us and the familiar feelings of battle lust began building inside my chest. I breathed a silent prayer to the Goddess that my strength of body and spirit would hold out this day and I would do her proud. I mounted the steps and looked out across the field; there were some still preparing snares and traps in the grasses outside the city. I could see a scout or two at a distance keeping watch; a couple of columns of men marched around the walls making sure nothing is forgotten. Looking down the walls I see lines of men in anticipation of what is to come. In some you can see the fear in their eyes, others a questioning look uncertain about what the future holds. Some faces seem familiar. Hmm, could be one of a dozen people I've seen in many different cities the last two weeks. The faces that I am certain about are the men from Chalksmere, were boars; they are a powerful force indeed; to them is the task hold back the enemy if the gates fall.

Lastly I look at my companions . . . my friends; feels kind of odd to think that word even now. Such a motley bunch we are with the weight of the world on our shoulders. The small ones Neil who will speak to the wall, sky or empty chair so energetically and Knife quiet for the most part but has no problem saying something when he feels strongly. Then there are the two arcane ones, studious Rumus always with his nose in a book and Alev, standing so proud and just as quick to press his point as I am. Of course, there is Tilk the silent giant who has no fear and is glad to give in to his rage and bring that massive sword down on the object of his rage. Lastly I come to Casey keeping to her own thoughts most of the time however like the Knife will make her opinion clear when she feels something strongly; I do suspect there is much more to her that can be learned. All fine people in there own way, I guess, however, everyone of ‘em has shown his or her mettle in combat; that is what is needed today.

Then of course, there is me, strange how things work out just a little over two weeks ago I could care less about the world as a whole. I spent my days telling of Firinna to villages and doing the work of the Goddess. By the planes of hell I usually ended up inciting people to rise up from their oppressive dictators and lords, take their lives in their own hands and live as they choose. Now look at me: here I stand on the battlements of a city, Saragost, ready to defend this city against the coming army . . .

What's that sound? A deep thunderous rhythm coming from the distance, for a moment I had forgotten where I was, lost in thought. My heart skips a beat; I can see movement in the distance, getting closer and closer. I can see them now the army has finally arrived. War is upon us; may Firinna guide my blade!

Next Post