Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Alev: Beyond the Grave and Back Again

March 31, 998 CE

Well, I now know what awaits me when my time comes: bright, emerald green eyes. I saw her in all her beauty, in the Lands of the Sun, the home of Aranu. Happiness filled me at the sight of her, yet sadness and regret for the stupidity that sent me. Allow me to explain.

We planned the attack and in our arrogance thought we were a match for those the Drow sent to lead their attacks from within the city. Why did we not learn from our encounter with Petrus in Vannondale? We can be outmatched, but the ease in which we had succeeded thus far lead to arrogance on our part. We were wrong. The warrior was no issue, but the wizard and cleric were another matter. They were too much for us to handle, and I fell into their trap. We attacked at mid morning. We easily dispatched the captain of the ship, and with a bit of pounding, the Drow in full plate waiting at the bottom of the ladder. But, the wizard used a Globe of Invulnerability. It made me near useless in the fight. I could not damage them with magic, and the crossbow wasn't strong enough to be of much use. I felt worthless. I was not prepared to take on foes as powerful as these. We won the fight though, they fled. I went up top as the rest of the party searched the ship. As I was speaking with the guards, a pillar of fire came down upon me and I collapsed. The last I remember is a searing pain deep inside me as I passed into the light.

I was not allowed to stay long though, for the Drow priestess ripped my soul back and animated my skeleton. Oh the feeling was awful. Never again shall I threaten Rygorh with this state. He deserves more than this, I would never wish it on my friends, even in jest. In silence I screamed as my body was beyond my control, unable to communicate with those around me.

When I finally fell to the guard's longsword, there was nothing. Just blackness. An overwhelming and never-ending darkness of a void. I felt . . . trapped. An experience I never wish to encounter again.

It felt like ages before I awoke in the sanctity of the Starborn room in the sewers. Enjoying the breath of air again in my lungs, I thanked my companions for bringing me back. It seems they also failed in stopping the Drow Priestess and Mage from escaping, and nearly lost Rumus as well in the process. Not good. While recovering, we went through the belongings of the Drow from the ship. Inside we found many things, the poison for the water supply, this chest full of gems, most likely for bribes, and a black ball that oozed evil and darkness, sucking in the light around it. It seems they were using this foul creation to "turn" the sanctuaries of the Starborn into havens for the Host. I bet they already succeeded on doing this to the Tump. We also found the Captain's journal which outlines plans for the Drows' movements in Chillhame.

We return to the Council and inform them of the news. Lady Arigane and Sir Talos immediate gather forces and descend upon the ship, battling the priestess and mage and slaying them.

Now the time comes to plan. We have learned from the Drow Priestess's belongings that the army should be at Saragost in 2 days. Not much time to make final preparations.

Next Post