Saturday, December 03, 2005

Chapter Three: Saragost (Interlude III)

The heroes have gathered in a private dining room in the Inn of the Flaming Beard to discuss Rumus's "gift." Shortly after the discussion begins and Neil has inspected the wine with his magic, there is a quick knock at the door and it opens.

"My apologies for interrupting," murmurs the innkeeper. Yes, it's that innkeeper, the one who normally curses you from head to foot when you're in the common room. He gives a curt nod and announces, "The Lady Arigane Zakawe of the Council of Saragost and head of the Order of the Prism to see you." He bows politely as Lady Arigane brushes her way into the room.

The Lady Arigane stares at the innkeeper imperiously, and he backs out of the room, half-bowing apologetically and closes the door. She turns to face you.

"I am here on two somewhat related matters. First is that bottle of wine." She points at Rumus's wine. "Such items are used by the Midnight Enclave to send a message to their intended victims. The person who received that bottle has offended the Midnight Enclave. If you do not stop whatever activity they find offensive they intend to kill you before sunrise tomorrow."

"The second item is the matter of the lost villages. It is vitally important that you attend to these villages soon. While we could certainly send messengers to check on them, we're concerned that messengers may not be suited for the situation. It is likely that someone with some martial prowess and resourcefulness is needed. We cannot spare the troops in the face of the Duergar threat. It also seems that you are in danger while you are in Saragost," she nods at the wine bottle. "I for one think it is fortuitous. You should not stay here . . . and conveniently there is something else for you to do outside of Saragost."

"Should you choose to take to these villages I will do my best to keep you informed of events here in your absence. I have some idea that you are important to the matters at hand . . . I strongly suggest that you hurry. You should make efforts to return to Saragost before the Duergar arrive. I feel that your presence during the battle will be important."

I'll answer questions via comments . . . she sticks around for a bit.

Next Post

4 Comments:

Blogger Brent Nall said...

::Lady Arigane listens politely to each of you::

"Well, I am pleased to hear that you will set out for the villages postehaste. This is a matter of great importance as these are no mere hamlets with a few dozen people; these are villages with hundreds of poor souls. Warning them will save lives and add to the defenses of Saragost as surely they will send what soldiers they can to the city."

"As to the burlaries . . . who can say? I'm not really sure what you're talking about. My duties do not typically entail involvement in these types of matters. I will ask Sir Jeren to look into them."

"The wine . . . well, it's well-known in Saragost that the Midnight Enclave uses this wine as a calling card. I have friends in the city that look into things for me and keep me informed. One of those friends told me that you received the 'Enclave's gift."

"I agree that there are certainly spies in Saragost. The haematite discs are likely used to identify them one to another."

"Saragost is a large city with much business activity. There are many visitors and a constant movement of economic and political alliances throughout. It would be difficult to determine who or what is specifically related to the Duergar threat . . . I will do what I can to investigate. If any in Saragost would aid the army when they attack this would be most dangerous."

"I believe that you face opposition at every turn because you are special in some way . . . the enemy knows you and seeks to impede or destroy you before you can reach your full potential. This is another matter that I will investigate. I will seek the aid of Michael Dunsany in this study."

1:06 PM  
Blogger Brent Nall said...

Rygorh likely mis-spoke regarding the Order of the Prism. You have all heard of it. It's one of the three powers in town. The Order of the Prism is a league of lawful arcane spellcasters. The Sanctuary of the Seven Archways where Rumus did his studies is their headquarters.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Brent Nall said...

"Before you go I will tell you what I can of the villages. Thanks to your efforts almost all of the island is prepared to face the coming threats. However, Astercote, Chalksmere and Vannondale have all been . . . strangely uncooperative. Our messengers report that Chalksmere is barricaded and has a warning sign before it, while the people of Vannondale appear to have given up talking to outsiders altogether. As for Astercote, we have heard nothing at all of it and the locals are muttering strange things."

"We request that you ride out to these villages, investigate what has befallen them and ensure that the townspeople are properly notified of the invasion. We need the troops those towns will provide. We have precious few days left to us before the Duergar will begin their march across the island. Go quickly, for many lives depend on you!"

"I will keep you apparasied of the events here. When the enemy is sighted you will be the frist to know."

1:18 PM  
Blogger Brent Nall said...

Yes, I have access to means of communication.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home