Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: Vannondale

After what we thought was a carefully planned and executed attack on the wizard where we were successful in not only obtaining the lens he so desperately sought after but we even killed his familiar. By Firinna I thought that would surely drive him away; I could not have been more wrong! Rhe flaming wizard came after us strolling into the inn like it was his. He brought his undead to our rooms and nearly killed me, Rumus and Alev without much thought. After we were revived by Neil, the group sat in our rooms and discussed the matter and decided to go back and speak with him. "By Sword and Flame" I thought "we assumed this guy was evil but when he had an opportunity to kill us all he refrained." Looking around the group "although my opinions don't seem to matter much to this lot since my meeting at the temple, ah well, that's their problem to deal with" I thought again to myself.

We reentered the manor and proceeded upstairs where we ran into a little resistance but not much until reaching the library. In the library we found a golem that seemed to be a librarian and knew quite a bit. Rumus was like a child with a new toy and elected to stay with it while the rest of us went upstairs to speak to the wizard. After a search of the upstairs the Knife found a way to the ceiling and we all proceeded upward. There we found the wizard looking through some device pointed at the sky, and I could only assume this was the telescope he spoke of. He seemed to be looking though this and making notes on what he saw; when he realized we were there he beckoned us to be seated. I was really surprised that he didn't seem more hostile but was more intent on this telescope thing. He spoke with us briefly without giving us any additional information with the exception that he let us know that he knew we were Starborn, and he has yet decided to choose a side, "most likely wants to side with whomever is victorious" is my thinking. He did tell us where the nobles were and swore that he would let them go as soon as he was finished with his work. Dismissing us he went back to the telescope. It was very apparent that he was not worried about us at all and that he had no intention on helping us in any way.

We made our way down to the noble family starting with the parents to assure them that their ordeal was almost over. It was at this point I realized just how badly my companions thought of me. When it was decided that some members of the group go and check on the children I heard someone calling my name from the hallway in a tone that a parent would use to suggest that their unruly child do as they wish. I thought "what in the name of sword and fire to these people think I am going to do? Kill or torture the damn nobles just because I don't like 'em?" So I stated that I was staying right where I was! The wizard was good to his word and freed the noble family before he left but without letting us know what he found. After a search of the roof a page of his notes was found that he had obviously missed in his hasty exit. We then received a nice reward from the nobles and two ships for use once we told them of the invasion that was coming. "I just hope that when life returns to normal here that the nobles remember what it was like to be helpless before another and learn from this experience."

Upon returning to Saragost we could see that most of the refugees had indeed been let into the city finally. We went to meet with Lady Arigane; then again I heard that tone just before the meeting as Casey "SUGGESTED" that I join her for a drink in the inn. "Like in the name of the nine planes of hell I would do such a flaming thing! These fools think they know me? They think they have seen my temper? Hah, when someone lies dead then they will know my temper!" Lady Arigane finally had some useful information and was able to give a general idea where the Tump was in this city. We immediately went into the sewers and moved to where we thought it was. Neil, "brave little soul" touched what we thought was the entrance and it opened. Several undead poured forth to escape Neil turned some and trapped them in the small room however it seemed that only the sword of Starkweather John was able to send the poor souls to there final rest as they deserved. We entered the chamber and sealed it to talk amongst ourselves it was then that Alev crossed the final barrier of my patience . . .

Next Post