Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Seebo: The Evil Swamp

So are you keeping up so far? It's a long tale but don't worry, it'll be worth it in the end, you'll see. Now where did I leave off?

Ah, Crescent City. Yeah, blew out of that town as soon as we could. I said before I thought it was filthy but that doesn't begin to describe how truly depraved it was. Rygorh was right at home.

But all kidding aside, there were a lot of problems in that town that we were sure to butt heads with eventually. The thieves' guild had split into four separate entities back when the old guildmasters disappeared. They divided the town and each ran their own side. The maze was in Raglan's side so I was going to have to get in good with them at some point. Rather than start something in town, we decided to go find the Ragged Man and come back to stir up trouble later.

So into the swamp we went. We were better of in Crescent City. It was a horrible start to the journey. The swamp elf Lorelei had befriended was kind enough to gather some of his brothers and sisters to lead us at least part of the way. They said they would take us to a point but no further, they never ventured past the border of their village. Something was better than nothing.

On they led. We piled in four at a time to these little skiffs, one elf on stick duty and three passengers. Along the way we noticed some bubbling in the water. I surmised it was some unknown danger that was best left alone. I hate it when I'm right about things like that.

Out of nowhere this large crawfish looking monstrosity lunges out of the water and swipes at Rygorh standing right next to me. Thank the gods it didn't come after me. The gods must still have it in for me because that's exactly what it did next. I'm wily, I'm small, I'm wiry, I'm even a bit evasive and have some pretty wicked reflexes. It still grabbed me and proceeded to have a midmorning snack of halfling surprise. The surprise was a dagger in the gullet. Too bad it didn't really do any good.

I've only ever come close to dying a few times in my life. I remember only one of them really well. I didn't like it then and sure as hell didn't like it now. I was sure I was a goner. Somehow, everyone else managed to fight them back and free me. I came to a little while later, reeking of rotten fish, drenched in crawfish bile. I'm sure I smelled just peachy.

But we moved on. We stopped at night on shore and made camp. The elves were absolutely dumbfounded. See in Caldraza slavery is legal and swamp elves were the slaves. You might be thinking "those dirty rotten humans!" but the truth of its origins might surprise you. It turns out the elves of Xoth Sarandi were the first to enslave their wayward cousins. The Caldrazans just maintained the tradition. So it's actually "those dirty rotten elves!"

Of course we couldn't have a peaceful night either, that would be too easy. While me and Neil were up on watch, we caught the sound of fluttering in the woods. It sounded like a swarm of bats. I was half right. The disembodied heads did have bat wings. About two dozen swarmed in on us. Neil and I roused everyone we could before they got to us.

Dinah later clarified what exactly we were fighting. Apparently if one of these things bites you, a few minutes later your head pops off and grows wings. There were swarms of them at a nearby plantation. We had to clean it up, but it could wait until the trip back.

The next few days were fairly uneventful. We avoided bubbling water and evil vampire-like creature ridden plantations and eventually got to the swamp elf village. To be honest, I was surprised it was still there. I wouldn't want to live in a swamp like this. Not that I would want to live in a swamp at all.

We rested a day and then moved on. The longer the journey took, the more we walked, the further in we got, the more I just wanted to leave. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. This time is was a crocodile that wasn't a crocodile. I would clarify but I'm not sure I completely understand it. To be honest I caught sight of something in the sky and missed the whole battle. I looked away one second and the next Dinah, Casey and Rygorh had pummeled the thing to death.

I was fed up. This swamp was nothing but trouble and we were getting nowhere slowly. Then a respite came, a small reprieve from the trials of this unforgiving land. A missionary from the Temple of Marius in Crescent City had set up shop here trying to show the heathen swamp elves the glorious truth of the world. You know I don't much care for the gods, though I'm coming around. Well, I despise those people who think their way is the right way. There's nothing worse than a "holier than thou" attitude. But I was hungry and the gnats were really annoying me so I kept my big yap shut and enjoyed Father Abstinence's hospitality. It was a good thing too because it turned out I had what he called swamp fever. I could have died!

All healed up we made our way further in. That's where the real fun began.

Next Post