Friday, March 10, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: Crescent City

Once we had control of the Drow ship we found that they had a crew of slaves onboard which was very unsettling for me. I have complete disdain for any type of servitude, especially slavery. I again wondered about the poor folk in Saragost and what oppressions they must be feeling. We made quick work freeing the slaves who were quite eager to help us of there own free will. Now we had two ships at our disposal. The former slaves were becoming good seamen, and of course, the crew from the Elensil knew what they were doing. It was decided that the new ship would bear the name Evening Star, which I thought was quite fitting. Knife claimed the Captain's chair on the new vessel which I saw no problem with as he was the one who boarded her.

We were still a few days out and nobody in the group seemed particularly interested in conversation so I went to our crew of former slaves and spoke with them. When none of my companions were around I spoke with the poor fellows about Chaos. I explained to them that only through Chaos comes true freedom and how Law and Order was nothing more than a humanoid attempt to control others. Law was nothing more than a mortal creation to make others submissive before a few who considered themselves special, not a natural occurrence: citing the chaotic nature of the environment, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. I believe I did a good job in helping them to understand that the universe itself was Chaotic in nature and there was no order to things except what men claimed. I felt much more like my old self, before arriving at the Tump, speaking passionately to a group of willing listeners and telling the tales of the Order of Firinna. It was kind of refreshing and comforting to know that I had not lost my flair for words or my skills to motivate the masses. I wonder constantly how my companions would take it if I told them of my life before meeting them. I can't explain why but for some reason I have been compelled lately to share my past, and I am uncertain why; maybe that is something that comes with friendship.

We finally reached our goal, a port called Crescent City. What a city it was to behold. At first glance it seemed to be a city that embraced Chaos as people seemed to be running free with individual freedoms. On a closer look though I saw right away a race of people called Swamp Elves. I soon found out they were nothing but slaves, and the only religion recognized here was one that worshiped Law. Hmm, I found that completely absurd. How could you worship an Ideal rather than a God? After all I believe strongly in Chaos but I don’t worship that in itself; I worship the Goddess who is a provider of Chaos. To worship an Ideal in itself seems senseless to me but it wouldn't be the first time I did not understand those who believed in Law. This city was completely odd, Chaos in the streets, Law worshipers and slave owners. Kind of goes to show what I have said all my life: Law creates servants and oppression.

We found a place to stay and had a nice sit down dinner and before anyone started to discuss what to do next I suggested we take a day or two off. We have been striving and working against the clock ever since we met. One night of relaxation would not hurt. By the planes of hell, we earned the right to take a break for a night. So we had a nice dinner and went to bed then the next morning broke up in groups to wander the city while trying to keep a low profile. Me, Tilk and Casey grouped together and wandered from bar to bar for a bit having a good time. We were sitting at one place, Tilk spinning tales of his homeland and Casey laughing and relaxing for once, when sudden long forgotten memories began to surface. Memories best left forgotten, things I never wanted to relive, a woman fierce in combat, a sister of the order, a companion and more . . .


It was a bright afternoon outside the windows of the classroom. You could see the rays of the sun streaming into the room casting interesting shadows on the floor. I stared intently at the small flame on my table and it just stood there not dancing, not moving. I willed it harder to dance like the others but it refused - then I heard it. Our instructor, one of the few War Lords in the temple, noticed my flame not moving. The half-orc instructor yelled across the room "Concentrate you stupid boy!" He still reverted to calling me boy whenever he was displeased with my performance even though the temple had made sure we shared the same name. "I am sorry, War Lord, I lost focus," I started. "That is no excuse, boy! What do you think will happen if you lose focus when some lawful bastard is tryin' to gut ya? Boy, you had better start tryin’ . . . What in the name of the goddess?" The hem of his robes suddenly caught fire and distracted him enough that he forgot all about lecturing me. I looked across the room to see Elainia grinning at me. "I owe ya one for that," I thought.