Thursday, April 13, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: Swamp, Misery and a Mission?

After traveling through this swamp for a few days I can see its effects taking a toll on my companions. Some are acting out of character for themselves while others are mysteriously silent. Neil has even lapsed into silence, a thing that I do find disturbing. I sit here listening to the song of the rain as it falls on trees, in puddles, and striking objects of various sizes. It seems to be making its own foreboding tune. Everyone has gone into this mission we came upon, however, I cannot bring myself to enter such a place. It does not make any sense to me: a mission devoted to this law cult out here in a place devoid of law and nowhere near any civilization? There must be more here to it; why build a mission here? Maybe I am becoming too cynical for my own good; however, we have been surprised way too often for my taste. Ever since our meeting and this track has begun nothing is as it seems.

Looking around I can see Ashton perched in a tree as the rain increases and he keeps watch, a very diligent young man with nothing left in his life except for what he can make for himself. "Hmm, a feeling I know all too well," scanning the area again my eyes find the mission once more. "I hope everything is alright with my companions. Surely they would have called out if something went wrong." Looking up, "Damn rain! Cant even make a proper fire in this oppressively bleak environment."

At a call from Ashton, I notice a figure in the rain, through the mist I can make out a shadowy silhouette of a short stocky person heading through the rain right towards us. I can see Ashton as he draws back on his bow and fades into the tree's foliage. As I watch this person approach, I can hear the distinct clanking of plate armor through the rain; figuring it best to be safe I loosen my sword in its sheath drawing it ever so slightly. Standing I can now make out the bearded face of a dwarf. "Hmmm now this is an odd place to find one of these sturdy warrior folk," I do not have much experience with these folks but from the few I've met and the stories I've heard it is easy to respect such a rugged race. Calling out to him in greeting in order to let him know I see his approach as well as to put Ashton at ease, he comes up and relates a brief story of confusion and lost memories . . . a story and feeling that I too am very familiar with. He is Starborn; against my better judgment I decide to accompany Kettle into the mission so we can talk more.

Once inside and after have to deal with the ministrations of this idiot father whatever his name is we make introductions and explain to Kettle the whole equinox tale.

After remaining at the mission for the next couple of days we set out on the final leg of our journey to the Temple of the dead god. Still not sure what to expect when we get there, I am beginning to doubt that his Ragged Man could really be Starborn. Why would he be in such a place? I can't help but wonder if we are heading into a trap or not. Up till now all of the information that the Lady has given us has proved fruitful. What if this information was planted in order to mislead us, and she unknowingly passed it on or have we drawn the wrong conclusions from her message. Hmm, I wonder if she still fights on, or if that sanctuary has fallen? It has been quite a while since we've heard from her. Then turning a bend in the river I could see it, a massive pyramid structure surrounded by a moat of sorts . . .

Next Post