Thursday, March 23, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: City of Mystery

I find this a strange place; still consumed by the aspect of such a city although one that worships Law. I find it hard to comprehend anyone worshiping an Ideal; this can be nothing more than some strange Lawful Cult. After a couple of nights off relaxing and looking around the city, there were some beautiful girls offering themselves for just a few silvers. As much as I would like to take them up on it I have business with the Goddess first. I set about town making a few purchases; I was able to convince my companions to give me a couple of weeks to commune with the Goddess. I felt the need to research a new spell in which she can aid us in our quest. Neil decided that he would use the time to enchant some items for the group. I asked him to make me a new cloak if he had time. The rest of the group would spend the time to learn more about this city, country and this ragged man.

Once my research was complete I felt honored that the Goddess assisted me in finding a spell that would help boost everyone's combat abilities. I came down stairs to find the group sitting around a table discussing more information that had been gathered. It seemed that a lot has gone on in this place: a king of thieves that was overthrown and left a prize, a plantation shrouded in mystery and a lawful church created by a former elven slave that supports slavery. Seebo seemed very intrigued by this maze and treasure left behind about ten years ago. I tend to agree with him on that. I keep wondering if this so called treasure could be a Starborn item; well time will tell I guess. Alev seemed more than ready to go begin telling all to the "Lawful" leaders of the city although I did not think this was a wise decision. Our new Bard friend however had befriended one of the Swamp Elves who said he could lead us to this Temple where the Ragged Man was. It was finally agreed after a long discussion that in the morning we would first attempt to leave the city then after finding the Ragged Man we will return and see to some of these rumors.

I lay awake for some time thinking over the discussion we had in detail. I find it odd that a lot sure has seemed to happen in this city within a 10 year span including a change in government within the last 6 months. Alev seems determined to speak to the city leaders. "*Sigh*, a lot of good that will do us if the Drow have already infiltrated the infrastructure as they did in Saragost! We still do not know how long they have been preparing for this war. They could have their agents already within every major city. We definitely have a long road before us." As I drift off to sleep unbidden dreams, or were they memories? I wasn't sure as the found their way into my sleepy mind . . .


The dark windowless room held a pungent aroma that I could not place. The half-orc sat behind his table taking a long deep breath in the middle of one of his lectures. "You have got to apply yourself better. How many times have I told you the flame is a living creature of itself? Unless you are a woman you can never master it but you can learn its discipline. Are you listening to me?" My gaze, which had wandered off to the single lamp in the room giving off a pale light that left everything in shadows, snapped back to the Master. "Yes, Warlord, I am. I just don't understand it. I try like everyone else and . . ." "No flaming excuses boy," he cut in quickly. Lowering his tone he said, "Why do you wish to be a disciple of the flame so badly? Not many men have the ability. You are too concerned with people. You care too much about others to be able to control the flame. I have suggested to you before that I think you would make a great Lord of Chaos. I have heard you speak to the other acolytes. You are too good and concerned with doing good to master the flame," he looks into my eyes questioningly. Carefully weighing my response I started, "Master, I wish to be as you: a Warlord blessed by the Goddess and use the flame to bring chaos to those who would oppress." "Bahhh," he bellowed, "I care not for the flaming oppression of people, I bring war for the sake of bringing war, in the name of the Goddess, people are oppressed because they are weak and allow it! Get out of here, I will see you tomorrow, but mark my words boy your bleeding heart will be your undoing one day." I heard the door close as I exited the chamber. "Don't look so upset Rygorh, I suppose it was the same ole lecture?" I looked up to see Elainia standing there. "Yup," was all that I could muster. She pulled me into an embrace. "You will do fine, and one day when I am a mistress of fire and you a Warlord the world will tremble before our temple." Feeling her soft form pressed against me always seemed to make everything seem better. "C'mon Rygorh I have a surprise for you," taking my hand, she led me down the corridor . . .


AshtonI woke with a start, the morning rays of sun were already coming through the window, and I arose, put on my armor and gathered my gear for the day. "Well, we enter this swamp today; I wonder what trials are in store for us now? I went down stairs to find my companions seated around the table. Ordering a morning brew I joined them. Of course Alev was still going on about meeting with the city leaders. That is when a low quit voice said, "You are the ones they call Sarborn, I remember when you passed through Hockton Barrow." In surprise, I turned to see a young man wearing a dark green cloak and a bow strapped across his back looking directly at me. "I have sought after you since the fall of Saragost. I would serve you and your quest in saving the lives of others like myself," he said with a bow. I then noticed that he wore the uniform of Saragost. As he spoke only one phrase burned in my head: "Your bleeding heart will be your undoing one day."

Next Post