Friday, February 24, 2006

Alev: Moving On

April 3, 998 CE

Again I have been neglecting my journal. I have just now finally been able to sit down and collect my thoughts and put my emotions back in check. We did everything right in preparing for the battle. I was able to convert the Drow formula into four smaller devices to be used as explosives on the field and set oil traps. The army was prepared; the insurgents inside the walls had been crippled.

Little did we know what we truly faced. With this army came these huge undead monstrosities, the size of giants, with metal balls where the head should be and pipes extending from the metal into the fleshy shoulders. This was their siege weapon, no catapults, no ballista, these giant Hruggi, they were called. Never before have I seen such a creation.

We moved out to attack from the rear. It had little to no effect. We were able to take out a lieutenant Duergar, but it cost us the life of Tilk against one of those undead machines. In the end, all we did was delay the inevitable. These vile Host have been preparing for this invasion for a long time. The world is ill-prepared to meet the onslaught.

Never-the-less, the people of Saragost made me proud that day. They fought bravely for as long as they could. To come from knowing nothing to mounting a sizable defense against a well prepared army in less than 10 days is a great achievement. While, in the end, they fell, the memory of their attempt will haunt me for a long time.

Seems no matter where I go, I cannot find justice and am forced to bring it with a vengeance.

Four weeks had passed since news had come back that the caravan my brother was traveling with was hit. That's the third of my father's merchant trains hit this year; definitely beyond coincidence now. I have been working with this Dwarven investigator my father knows, trying to determine who is behind this. Finally, a clue presented itself in the form of a suspicious clerk.

We followed him to The Black Unicorn, a local tavern, where he met up with another individual. When put to the question later, we learned that this person was who he sold the information on the merchant trains to. A man named Flavius Glower. It is amazing how truthful someone becomes when under the knife. This dwarf knows things that could even make me queasy.

Odd, I haven't thought of those days in a long time. Seems I am meant to turn my sadness into anger and take vengeance once again. This Host has yet to truly feel our wrath. One day, soon I hope, we shall again get the chance to stomp on their precious egos. Who knows, I might actually smile then.

We are traveling for Caldraza now. Off to find this one called the Ragged Man, who we think is the elven wizard who survived the last Equinox. While some of my companions deal with the pain of the deaths of so many, I plan strategies for how to combat our foe. We are at war, and during war, emotion must take a backseat to survival. Rygorh speaks well when not overcome with fury and raging like a barbarian. While an emotional speech, it did have the right message. Deal with the loss later, for now we must plan for the future.

I wonder what the Host has done in this country so far that we must overcome. We shall soon see what awaits us. I must plan for contingencies; I cannot let my companions down again.

"I'm sorry, brother, that I wasn't there to protect you this time," I thought standing there outside my family's tomb. "We found the one who sold the information though, I watched him questioned this morning. Soon he will lead us to the one who orchestrated this. Soon I will avenge you."

Next Post