Thursday, February 16, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: The Battle for Saragost

The massive army of darkness formed up and stopped just outside the range of our catapults to await the setting sun. Thousands of small gray faces staring forward in perfect ranks; these were well disciplined troops after such a forced march. Several covered chairs are towards the rear, they are draped with some type of dark material; I assume those are the Drow leaders of this army. What catches my eyes more than anything are the enormous creatures that flank this army with massive clubs and some kind of pipes going from their neck to the shoulders. I have never seen such an abomination to nature in my life; by Firinna's blessed sword what kind of horrible dark magic could create such beasts? Then just as the sun is setting a female voice from the rear of this massive army speaks loud enough that the defenders can hear on the walls. Standing there I listen for a moment until I realize it is just a flaming speech to attempt to destroy the defenders morale. "Without Mercy?" Yeah, right . . . "Led by the Terror? . . . According to Prophecy?" . . . this can be the name of none other than the enemy of the Starborn, the very ones that we must face down in combat." One thought shrieks in my mind. "Call them out now, Rygorh! Respond to this dark bitch and challenge the Terror now! Call them out into the field and end this Starborn against the Terror . . . End it now! Before anyone has to die!" Standing there with my mouth open ready to bellow my challenge I hear my companions and realize that they are trying to boost the morale of the defenders and it is working. My voice is caught in my throat, "Are we ready for such a confrontation? This is after all the type of impetuous act that angered everyone before." Sighing I realize that it would not be fair or right for me to volunteer my companions into such a fight.

Once this massive force of darkness bent on destruction begins to move forward like a dark tide coming into shore my companions and I run down the steps and jump onto our horses. We have decided that we will exit the south gate, skirt around the army and begin hitting units in the rear. Glancing over I can hear explosions and see little gray corpses and pieces of gray flesh flying through the air as Alev's traps are doing very well. The air rains arrows and crossbow bolts as the body count on the side of the dwarves rises; the city is doing well indeed. We are soon to the rear ranks of this enormous army and now it's time to do some damage. First we come upon three Dwarves apparently guarding something of interest to the army and they are quickly dispatched. One manages to turn invisible but Casey finds him and he joins his fellows in death. We then look around and find what appears to be some kind of commander who turns himself invisible until once again Casey is able to find him. He is brought down as quickly as the others are, "By all the planes of Hell these vile creatures die too easy; I haven't even bloodied my sword!"

Suddenly, as I am glancing around for one of these creatures to vent my anger upon I hear a great noise in the distance. Looking out across the heads of the dark army I see that those horrible beasts created from dark magic have managed to bring down the gates and the dwarves are flooding into the city like a dark plague released upon the surface world. Rumus begins shouting something to Neil that I cannot hear, and then Rumus flies up into the air. Streaking above the dark army he hovers above the crushed gates to the city. With his arms stretched forward as he hovers gouts of flame and arcane magics blast into the enormous beasts at the gate. "What a valiant effort," I think to myself as one of the creatures of dark magic falls before Rumus's power. Even at this distance, I can hear a cheer from the walls as Rumus has managed to rekindle the fighting spirit of the defenders. As many disagreements we seem to have I must say that Rumus knows how to step up when he is needed. We decide that we must join Rumus within the walls so we mount up and begin to skirt back around to re-enter the south gate to rally the men and attempt to force the dwarves back out the gate. As we move around a bend we come face to face with one of those monstrous beasts created by dark magics . . .

Next Post