Friday, February 17, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: The Fall of Saragost

The beast has not seen us yet, maybe we can bring it down from a distance. I don't think anyone wanted to get within reach of this monster's club. We moved to maximum range and struck at it with magic and arrows; they seem not to do much except to alert the creature of our presence. He moved forward attempting to engage us but we moved back again, pelting it with magic and arrows. Alev used one of the explosive devices that he had created, but that only seemed to slow the beast. I found myself wishing that Rumus were here with his ranged magic; again without a strong long distance attack we are in trouble. Again, the beast moved forward and we retreated blasting it, someone in the back shouting that we cannot keep this up we must get to the city. This time, however, it was too late as the creature lumbered forward and everyone began to withdraw once again. I realized that I had miscalculated the creature's speed and he towered above me.

Glancing around I knew, as his massive head swiveled towards me club upraised, if I attempted to move out of his range he would strike me down. "By Firinna's mighty blade," I thought "Rygorh will not die in flight." With that thought, gripping my sword and taking a deep breath, I stepped towards the monster. I heard someone shout something at me but in my battle lust I couldn't make out what was said as I lunged at the beast feeling my blade strike true. I felt the blade slicing through muscle and dead flesh and the acrid scent of burning dead flesh as the flames that flicked the length of my blade made a sizzling and popping sound that was sickening. I brought my shield up as that hovering club sailed down towards me, "This could be it, at least my friends can get to safety," I thought just as I felt the impact. Knocked off balance I felt my shield slam back into me, my shoulder wrenched in its socket as it dislocated and the snapping of bones in my ribs and arm. Legs slightly wobbly and the taste of blood in my throat I realized I still lived though not for long. I lunged forward striking him again, hearing that sick sound of my sword meeting his flesh again and waited for the death blow.

Looking up at the club poised above me I began having flashbacks of an ogre's club smashing into my skull and driving me to the ground. Then in the din of battle and the haze filling my head I felt something before he struck, the bones mending, my head clearing and the pain subsiding . . . I know the feeling of healing magic! With a surge of pride, I knew my friends had come to my aid; not a pride in oneself, which I knew well, but a pride gained from a sense of camaraderie, being part of a team a feeling that until now I had never known. Even as the blow struck I could feel the healing course through my veins. Again, now with a clear head, I could hear Neil's chanting and the Knife's shouts, "Hit him again Rygorh, we have you!" With a new fury and an odd sensation in my throat that made it hard to swallow I struck the creature again and again. After trading blows with the beast a couple times I began to wonder if they would be able to keep up the healing long enough to bring down this beast and considered backing away when I heard a bellow of rage. The next blow I had prepared for suddenly diverted as I saw Tilk's form come into view and take a massive jarring impact, but that was not about to stop his charge. His huge sword made contact with the monster. With Tilk at my side there was no backing off; I knew we would surely drop this beast now. I struck again and to my horror saw Tilk fall to another massive blow from the club however even as Tilk fell the beast wavered and dropped to the ground, and I could see over its prone form a grinning Casey on the back of her warhorse on the other side.

I grabbed Tilk's lifeless form and threw him over my horse, and we made for the south gate of Saragost. Moving quickly through the city we made for the sewers and our sanctuary that had earned the name the Node. Once there Tilk was returned to life just as Alev and I had been by these divine and mystical places. We healed up quickly and headed for the ship; there were now gray dwarves moving through the city in packs like rabid dogs. We dispatched one such group with ease. Reaching the ship, we found that Rumus was not present; the crew seemed dismayed when we told them we were leaving again since they were ready to leave as quickly as possible. Finding Rumus at the wizards' tower, we again made our way to the ship and cast off. Our last view of Saragost appeared to be a disaster with smoke rising and the flashes of magic from the wizards' tower . . .

Next Post