Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: Victory . . . at a Price

We all stopped what we were doing, Casey shoving the chest she had been working on inside Neil's bag, and we ran to the ship's deck to find the source of the commotion. We came upon a sight I do not think anyone was prepared to see. There at the entrance to the dock lay Alev's burned and deformed body. Many of the guardsmen the counsel had sent to aid us also lie dead on the ground around him; the guardsman who still stood looked in bad shape some still trying to put out the fires on their cloths. In the center of this, mass of death and suffering was the Drow cleric coming to her feet as she was kneeling over Alev as we reached the deck of the ship. As if some unspoken agreement we all rushed from the ship and down the dock towards the cleric who was ready for us to make that move. She raised her arms and made some vile incantation, which caused all the dead on the ground to stand and draw weapons, this included the dead form of Alev. Sighing deeply as I ran. "Nobody should be tormented like this in death."

We ran as far as we were able to since the undead that had just been raised were blocking our way to the cleric. Casey and Tilk drew weapons and waded into melee, I stopped and was considering how I may get to that cleric when Neil, "May Firinna bless the little guy," cast a web spell that stopped the bitch from running. I immediately cast a silence on the webbing so she could not cast her way clear. "Now if I can get to her she is finished," was my first thought. I could hear Rumus muttering his arcane incantation when suddenly everything went cold as a ball of Ice and snow hit all of us that stood on the dock. Turning I could see that damn wizard had decided to show his face; Rumus was now on the ground unconscious and near death so I leaned over and called upon the power of Firinna to heal his wounds and bring him back to consciousness. The wizard saw what I had done and decided to attack Rumus again leaving him alive but damn near useless. Turning towards the wizard I grabbed my bow and started hurling arrows in his direction hitting him once or twice but I don't think it did much damage. Neil then cast another silence on the area the wizard was in and prevented him from casting anymore.

The next few minutes seemed like an eternity, the battle with the undead raged in front of us; most of the group was there trying to fight their way to the Drow. With Rumus lying on the dock, I stayed by him in case he needed more healing and continued to fire my bow. The Cleric finally worked her way through the web then she and the wizard took off running. The undead that remained were then turned and just like that the battle was over and Alev was dead, Rumus in bad shape and everyone in need of healing. We went straight to the counsel on our way to the Saragost version of the "Tump" to bring back Alev and do some healing. Upon hearing our story the Counsel sent several powerful Clerics and Wizards to the ship and shortly returned with tales of the battle and word that the ship was captured. We retired to the Tump Alev's corpse breathed life again we examined the contents of the chest and made sure everyone was healed.

My arrogance and bad decision making now has come full circle and caused a death and damn near more than one, the Drow leaders were dead, we have some useful information and the ship taken however, the death of Alev still lingers in my mind.

Next Post