Friday, May 12, 2006

Chronicles of Rygorh: Personal Changes

I spent most of the next day or so to myself allowing the others to plot deviously by themselves if they so wished. My primary concern was to seek out new spells and the locations of the hidden shrines. I was also very concerned about these rumors of a slave revolt. Funny how a man can be completely changed as the Gods step in and direct their lives according to divine plan. A couple months ago had I walked into a place like this and hear of rumors of a Slave revolt by the 9 hells I would have been first in foremost in joining and even pushing for such a thing. Now however, I know that for slaves to revolt in this time of crisis for the surface world would not be a good thing. It could actually be bad under the impending Drow invasion, I have decided that I would enlist the aid of those swamp elves that have chosen to join me and seek out the leader of this revolt. I think that my background and experience in such things as warfare, I may be able to convince him that now is not the time for such an action. Now is prob. the absolute worst time for such a thing It would cost many lives on both sides lives that could help defend this city. I still find it hard to believe that me of all people am now attempting to end such action, sometimes it's difficult for me to accept but I know that this is in the best interest of the ongoing war. If I thought that these were the only things that were a bout to change I was wrong because as me and Ashton were headed back to the ship something happened, something I had never ever considered happening to me. A messenger came up with a message from the Governor saying that he wished to speak to me in private…… A ruling party or noble would never have sent me such a request in the past, me, a man who spurns local law and order and have spent my life trying to overthrow such self proclaimed authority to have received such a message. Out of curiosity I decided that I would go and meet with him although I know I must meet with my companions first and leave my sword on the ship since it is only one of the two Starborn Items we have recovered thus far.

Arriving on the ship, I immediately told the others of my meeting then went to my cabin to change clothes. Shortly after I could hear Alev banging on my door and asking me to join everyone on deck, sighing I told him that I would be there in a moment. I choose to dress in my formal robes that left no doubt in anyone’s mind that I was a servant of Firinna and one who relished in Chaos, Fire, War and Trickery. I figured that this Governor had wronged us by arresting our friends and I would make that point, by allowing the city to wonder why the Governor had requested a private meeting with such a person. When I stepped onto deck garbed in the vestments of my Goddess I saw many stares from the crewman as well as my companions. Alev was the first to ask me about my garments and upon understanding, I saw a satisfied glint in his eye, he it seems felt the same as I did. The others however were not so inclined and began preaching to me that it would be a bad Idea. Dressed as that and going to see him alone seemed to be the biggest concerns, some didn’t want me to go at all however they conceded that it was my decision. Most however were adamant that I take both Tilk and Dinah with me that I would not do! I did decide to concede and offered to take just Tilk after the Governor did seem to take a liking to him. All of course were against me leaving the ship in my robes to the goddess. Prior to meeting these people I would have never considered taking anyone else counsel especially about my garb however, I again conceded.

After removing my robes, I set out with Tilk and headed for the city hall for my first ever-private meeting with a city leader. I told myself over and over this is of course in the greater good or at least I hopped it was. Arriving at city hall, I cast Protection from Law on both Tilk and me just in case old habits die hard ya know. Besides, he, the governor, has not shown himself to be the most trustworthy soul. We told the guy at the desk that we were there to see him however it seemed that it was well past the appointed time that he expected me so we were asked to wait till he had a moment. After we waited, about 15 minutes and knowing that my spell had worn off the Governor still had not called upon us so I told Tilk that we needed to return to the ship. The clerk seemed surprised that we were leaving and I told him that we did have other matters to attend too and could not sit around all day. The Governor to this point had not solidified himself as an ally as a matter of fact he had betrayed us once in arresting our friends I was having serious issues of trust with him. As much as I seemed to have changed recently I have not changed that much, yet only the Gods know what we have in store.

Next Post