Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Seebo: The Thieves, the Bank and the Treasure

'Patience is a virtue.' Or so I was told when I was a young boy. I never understood what that really meant. Honestly, if there's something I want or something I need, I'd just take it. This time though, just taking it might land me an ear-to-ear smile if you get my drift.

Not wanting to make enemies in Crescent City – well not yet anyway – I tried fervently to arrange a meeting with Lord Raglan, the leader of the Thieves' Guild where the testing maze was located. If you know anything about the underworld and how things work, you know not to work in another man's territory without his permission

Like I said before, I wasn't getting anywhere with him and I was actually getting a little disheartened. I hadn't been jealous of Rygorh because he had his Starborn item until the first time I felt like I wouldn't get mine. I knew it was at the end of the maze and I knew it was my birthright so why should anything stand in my way?

But as I thought, the answer indeed did present itself to me. One of Raglan's cronies apparently slipped a note in my pocket as I was leaving his bar. He wanted to meet with me at 2am. I'm no fool though. I wasn't about to walk in there alone. Everyone else agreed to filter themselves in slowly before the meeting so if things did go bad, they'd be there to back me up.

I walked in the bar, walked up and ordered me my tall ale. I hadn't even taken a sip before a couple of the thugs came by and told me Raglan was waiting to see me. They led me to a dark corner where a thin waif of a man was sitting with his back to the wall. We talked a little bit about why I wanted to see him and who I was and who I thought he was. After a little discourse, he told me to come back tomorrow and Raglan would see me.

I really hate getting the run-around. But I had to play his games if I wanted to get in the maze. I came back the next day and spoke with Raglan finally. He was a brute of a man but he didn't scare me. He wanted me to kill Dark Mariah's second for him. Now let me lay this all out for you so you understand my particular dilemma there. The Crescent City underground is basically run by four Thieves' Guilds. The church and the governor know about them but don't bust them up. Through all of this a delicate balance of power is maintained by the six factions. What Raglan asked of me was to disrupt this balance by crippling one of the factions.

I'm not one to get involved in someone else's fight though so I flat out told him no. I wouldn't do it. He'd have to get someone else to do his dirty work. Apparently the rumors of me being a vicious assassin bent on leading the Drow into Crescent City were all fabricated by one Count Crastic. The bastard was using my moniker to spread rumors about the misdeeds he committed.

Raglan agreed to a lump sum of 1800gp to let us run the maze. We paid him and made our way to it. Alev was smart and got a writ to allow us entry into the hospital where the maze was located. We found it pretty easy in the morgue and made our way in.

I won't bore you with the details of how we defeated it, but suffice it to say between Kettle's and my skills we made short work of the maze. Under the throne at the end, tucked away in a cleverly hidden spot was the box with my gloves in them. Unfortunately, there was no key so we were still at a loss on what to do at the bank. There was also a number of medallions in the box that signified completing the maze.

With the maze done, the next focus was in fact the bank. We had already set the stage for it so all that was needed was to execute the plan. With the new information that Alev received, I was able to make my way in and reserve one of the most secure boxes for the evil rod from the Temple. Using that key, Neil enchanted it with a spell that would open whatever lock it came in contact with. Alev went back with the key and it worked! I have to hand it to Tilk and Neil; with their help we came up with a damn clever plan.

We now had all of our Starborn items in hand and we were ready to take on the Host. We had more immediate concerns to deal with but were about to fulfill our destinies. We had to clear out the Vargouille infestation at the plantation, save the swamp elves, clear the name of the poor woman who committed a crime while under the influence of an evil force and find the murderer. What woman?

Oh I must have missed that part. See after leaving Raglan's bar that first night, we were ambushed. A malevolent force took over Kettle and start pounding on us. We eventually beat away the force and sent it back to where ever it came from but seconds later we found a woman covered in blood holding a man's face in a back alley. Apparently she had been possessed by a malevolent force as well and had used a knife to cut away a man's face. She came to just in time to realize what was happening. We calmed her down but if it smells like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. The guards arrested her and she was going to stand trial. We promised to do whatever we could to set her free.

All of that was a piece of cake compared to what was ahead of us though. I don't think any of us were truly prepared for what was about to happen.

Next Post